Ice Cream Sandwich Roll Out
The long awaited Android update, Ice Cream Sandwich, has finally started to roll out to 2011 and 2012 handsets in select territories. The roll out should make its way to all handsets (and hopefully tablets) by June.
As the update won’t be available over-the-air due to reasons we’ve spoken about before, you’ll have to check manually via your PC or MAC. You can download the required update software from the Sony Mobile update page.
So here’s the full list of what phones and where you can get the update:
- Live with Walkman
- Xperia active
- Xperia arc
- Xperia arc S
- Xperia mini
- Xperia mini pro
- Xperia neo
- Xperia neo V
- Xperia pro
- Xperia ray
Xperia Update Process
- Select your Handset below
- Remove the cover off the back of your handset,
- Remove the battery,
- Locate the 8 digit SI number, (formatted XXXX-XXXX), this is usually directly under â€œSony Ericssonâ€ or “Sony Mobile”
- On the page you opened above, press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘F’ to activate your browsers find function
- Enter the 8 digit number into the search,
- If you find your SI number in the list, head over to the Sony Mobile Update page,
- Select your phone, then follow the instructions from there.
As of the 31st of May, both of the Sony Tablets have received the Android 4.0.3 update:
Tablet Update Process
If you have a 3G tablet, it’s HIGHLY recommended that you update via WiFi only, this’ll save you data charges, it should also be faster.
- With the tablet on, and unlocked, tap the time,
- Tap the time again to bring up the basic settings,
- Tap “Settings” at the bottom of the list,
- On the left settings menu, tap “About Tablet”,
- On the right menu, tap “System Update”,
- If an update is found, follow the on-screen instructions.